Monday, October 1, 2012

Absent

I've been on a whirl wind fun time having vacation for the past couple of days or so.  I've needed it.  It's been super fun.  I feel more centered and focused, which is NOT where I've been lately.  I've been staring at projects and books that I should be reading, looking at my calender at appointments I should be making.  I have been a bit more absent minded than usual.  I am a very detailed oriented person, but lately, little things have just been slipping through my fingers.

I started reconstruction on Wilfred's leg, which is a pile of foam mauled by the sweetest of pit bulls, Fletch.  Thank God I have a pile of pins.  I feel like a surgeon piecing together some one's shattered hip socket.  It's not the end of the world.  It just calls for a bright light, Bondo, and straight pins.  Once, I have it temporarily reconstructed, I will number the bits, take it apart and begin putting it back together with said Bondo.

It's also the first day of October, which normally means that I begin 31 days of horror at my house.  I think I may skip it this year in favour of classics instead of the gore fests which have lead me to become increasingly depressed during my favourite time of year.  I think tonight I'll start with The Omen, or Rosemary's Baby.  Both favourites.

The mummification project is going well.  I may pop out to a fabric store today to see if I can get some muslin.  The one mistake I made was drying the mouse face up.  There was seepage from his face (because of the detailed work involving removing his brain and eyes <see not being detail oriented while doing taxidermy IS a problem>).  This will be less of a problem with the ferret.  Cavities are larger, so I will be able to get into the skull to take care of both of those things.  Otherwise, Now that I know to dry them face down, I think the process will go super smooth.  Clearly, Pip will have to dry for a much longer time, but I think all in all the experiment was a success, and the resins that I chose not only did a beautiful job preserving, but it's the loveliest smelling piece of taxidermy I've ever created.  I hope to get started on Pip this week.  Hopefully, Diana will have him back by December 21 (end of the world stuffs).  That's my goal, at least.  I'll see her today to discuss specifics on decoration and whatnot.  I'm very excited about it.

Another weekend filled with friend therapy on the horizon.  That's good stuff!

Next post I promise will be image heavy.

2 comments:

  1. I have to investigate a ferret-sized glass-front sarcophagus of some kind... Too bad my father's such an asshat, his woodworking skills would come in so handy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I was better at woodworking. But sculpting is as far as I go. :) I'm so very excited about getting started.

    ReplyDelete